Bar Stool Races
Sat, March 17th in Ben Wheeler, Texas
Sign-Up for races begins at 1 on-site in
downtown Ben Wheeler at Moore’s Store.
Festivities Start at 3.
Races start at 4pm
(Straight run race/ No obstacle course)
Live music all day ♣ Pingpong Tournament
2017 Motorized Barstool Racing Rules
Moore’s Store & The Forge Bar & Grill host a Quiet Man Tradition*!!!
So what is this crazy Motorized Barstool thing anyway? Well, it started in 1978 when a can of bud cost 16 cents at the Quiet Man Bar on Knox Street in Dallas. The original circle of 6 barstool creators consisted of Bill Jenkins, Thomas Spangler, Johnny Gable, John Pullman, Mike Carr, and Keith Blackwell (the official woo hooer). Each man created his own version of a motorized barstool and then they began to race them outside the Quiet Man bar. Soon it grew to the Highland Park Cafeteria parking lot where Mrs Dewey Goodman announced the racers at a polished track. From there they moved to the Dart Bar of Cedar Springs followed by Lukes Outhouse. The tradition continued throughout Dallas, where Mr. Jenkins made the news with his barstool cannon blast that set off the alarm of a nearby liquor store.
The notorious Dallas Farmers Market quickly took up the event in full sponsorship along with Ben E Keith and Budweiser to blast the races city wide. Bill Jenkins’ barstool train debuted (featuring a super charged 350cc Honda) coming in first place. In 1991 The races finally found their end at the Greenville Avenue St Pattys Day Parade. (This is the old school lower Greenville where legends were made.)
Last seen in 1991 the barstools have now resurfaced in Ben wheeler TX. The reincarnated reclaimed racers can be seen on display at the participating shops across the historic town of Ben Wheeler. Races to be held annually during the Over the Rainbow St Patty’s Day Party and at the Feral Hog Festival, which runs the 4th Friday and Saturday of October.
Wanna make your own Motorized Barstool?
If you have the skills and wherewithal, we welcome you to create your own motorized barstool. Just be sure to check out the Ben Wheeler Motorized Barstool Racing Rules and Regulations.
Pick up entry forms & complete rules @ Moore’s Store, The Forge Bar & Grill or online at BenWheelerTx.com
Ben Wheeler Motorized Barstool Racing Rules and Regulations 2018:
As set forth by the B.W.B.P.S.
1. All vehicles must function as a freestanding Barstool.
2. Vehicle to have a minimum fixed seat height of 29″ (Twenty-nine inches)
3. Vehicle to have a maximum width of 32.5″ (Thirty two and a half inches)
4. Power Description:
Unlimited Class Electric Texas Class Novelty Class
On Board Standard Ford Foot
Starter Motor Sail Animal Other
- Vehicle CANNOT have movable outriggers.
- Vehicle must be able to navigate both left and right hand turns.
- Vehicle must have a dead man on/off switch that cuts all the power any time the rider leaves the machine.
- All Racing Entrants must wear an approved helmet and protective gear of choice while operating/driving a Motorized barstool.
- Spectators will not be allowed to ride Barstools.
- All Motorized Barstool operators must have a B.W.B.P.S. Issued Barstool Driving License.
- Notarized Entry Form/ Liability Release will be required to participate.
- A running start of ten feet or less will be permitted.Function Description
- You must be able to drive the Motorized Barstool across a door threshold, through Beer Joint door, and up to a bar, both elbows must be able to rest on the bar. Dismount the vehicle and the vehicle must remain standing by itself.In case the establishment hosting the race may have stairs or other obstruction, the “door and bar facilities” may be replicated outside to achieve the same desired effect and will be the same height as a standard bar.
- Please note that Operating Motorized Barstools while drinking is life-threatening and not endorsed at all.